Oregon! The land of milk and honey! A wilderness stretching
450 miles packed to the brim with wild huckleberries, blueberries,
thimbleberries, eatable (and not eatable) mushrooms, whimsical trees dripping
with Old Mans Beard moss, geological volcanic wonders, and huge craggy peaks to
scramble. The trail is like a Temperpic
mattress for your feet, cushioning you to pull 30, 40, even 50 mile days. The
skies seem bluer, the grass greener, the trail easier. And then there is the
front country of Oregon. Towns like Ashland, Sisters, Bend, and Timberline;
places where everyone stops for you to J-walk, a new brewery serving an even
hoppier IPA beer pops up every week, and carrot ginger beet juice with a boost
of maca is the classic down-to-earth healthy breakfast option. This is not a
place to rush through at all. In fact, despite the PCT challenge to hike Oregon
in two weeks, I slowed down a lot and started to consider myself a section
hiker. Waking up later, doing side peaks off the actual PCT, and strapping bags
of Frido Flavor Blast Twists and Bagels to the outside of my pack. Life was
good in Oregon.
During Oregon I became part of the “Magic School Bus” crew.
I wonderous bunch of interesting characters. There was Verde, one of the many
hikers who are named for their love of smoking weed. He looked just like the
Grinch, with a big ol’ smile going from ear to ear and a generous heart. Then
there were the Tennessee boys (Sagi, Moonshine, and Leaky). If I was 19 and
their age I would have a huge crush on them.
In fact, every time Sagi walked into a new town he fell in love with
another waitress or bakery worker. There was Lullaby too. An Iranian man in his late twenties or early
thirties, working as a dentist in Santa Rosa. Pictured him spending his Friday
nights lounging on an expensive recliner chair reading the New Yorker watching
reruns of Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Friends. He had a big beard and
would store things in it during the day to save them for later. Best Lullaby
moment was when the Magic School Bus all stuck a huge number of glow-sticks in
his beard. As we were laughing our asses off, Lullaby told us to all be super
quiet and then in a flash he yelled at the top of his lungs and shook all the
glow-sticks up into the air. Good times. Then there was Butters. Butters seemed
to just appear out of nowhere one day and we instantly jived. Born in Santa
Cruz and coincidently going to work for one of my friends from college, I could
actually see hanging out with this guy off trail. In exchange for me teaching
him about mountaineering, he geeked out on geology and answered all my
questions about lava rocks.
And then there was Acid Glasses. Acid Glasses and I became
consistent hiking buddies for all of the Pacific Northwest. So much so, that
people joined our trail names together to call us “Drop Acid” (Drop Bizkit and
Acid Glasses together). However, for the remainder of my blogs I will refer to
him as Mickey. I decided that at a certain point you get to know someone so
well on the trail that their real world name make them seem more like real
world people and it is just more appropriate at times. Mickey and I had a blast
together. We could talk forever about nothing and everything for hours or we
could just leave each other alone and meet up for lunch. Mickey has an amazing
attitude towards life and when I was in a shitty place, he was the perfect
company to pull me out and get me to laugh again. At age 21 Mickey has already
thru hiked the Appalachian Trail and is planning to do the Continental Divide
Trail next year. Because of this I learned a lot about thru hiking from him. He
got me to finally understand that I could slow down- that I could make s’mores
and collect berries and still make it to Canada in time. He taught me how to
make amazing lunches with bagels, avocados, cheddar cheese, three meats
(usually peperoni, turkey and ham), and chips crumbled in. Every Wednesday
since the beginning of my journey I was making Instant Jello Pudding as a
tradition. But with Mickey I learned how to one up that and make No Bake
Cheesecake every week (4 servings, 4000 calories!). He even taught me that
carrying two silly puddies and three books was weight worth carrying. We fought
a lot, argued about stupid things, got mad at each other, but ultimately shared
amazing memories and pushed each other to make it to Canada.
Ashland was the first stop 20 miles into the state of
Oregon. I had been dreaming about coming here for months because I knew about
the amazing co-op with an awesome juice bar and the hot springs right outside
of town. I stayed three nights in a really comfortable hostel where the
Tennessee Boys made the crew a bomb hamburger dinner and eggs in a blanket for
breakfast. To celebrate entry into a new state I went out on the town one night
with Verde and danced to some amazing Jazz tunes. Was sore for days after that.
In recovery from that night, the next day Mickey and I went hot springin’ and
soaked our sore muscles and bones for hours until we were one giant prune.
Sufficiently fed and resupplied with the famous Pacific Northwest Dave’s Killer
bread for my next section, I marched forward.
Upon entering into the Cascade Range I pretty much just
hopped from volcano to volcano. There were the Three Sisters, Mt. Thielson,
Three Fingered Jack, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, and finally Mt. Hood. I
spent the days hiking toward one giant mountain, circumventing around it, and
then hiking away from it onto the next. And then there was Crater Lake-one of
the world’s most notorious volcanic craters. Hiking along the rim of the lake
during sunset with the train of the “Magic School Bus” crew pushing me from
behind was such a spiritual and beautiful feeling. It was one of the those
moments on trail where it feels like time has stopped and some how you have
just hiked 4 miles without even knowing it.
Then there was Mt. Thielson. Butters, Mickey and I decided
late in the afternoon to scramble up an hour off trail to get to the top of
this craggy Class 3 peak. No big deal. Just threw off our packs and pretty much
ran up that thing listening to R Kelly tunes and twerking our booties. I am
usually not that comfortable on more technical rock scrambles, but with Butters
and Mickey around for support I made it and was so glad we did this.
By the way, the Three Sisters Wilderness is amazing! Highly
recommend this spot to anyone looking for a few day journey into the wild. Cool
lava rocks, ground covered with only obsidian rock, beautiful peaks surrounding
mild terrain, cool climate, lakes everywhere. And then there is the Three
Sisters mountains. One fine day we decided to summit the Middle of the Three
Sisters. Middle Sister is around a 4 mile off trail scramble up scree and
glaciers. After finally motivating the crew of Acid Glasses, Sagi, Butters, and
this dude Rocks we blasted up the peak. It felt so good to just take a daypack
and push my muscles to work hard up to a summit. We got to the top right before
a huge thunderstorm rolled in. It was epically fun running down scree fields
and sliding on our butts down large snow patches to get back to the calming
terrain of the PCT again. Once down, the day was only half over. Mickey and I
decided to rage through a big rainstorm and get soaked to the bone to make it a
27-mile day and get to a stone built observatory. I felt like such a bad ass
that night making it to that shelter and getting to sleep in a dry place. That
morning we were woken up by all these tourists coming to check out the views.
We must have looked ridiculous with all our wet clothes hanging everywhere.
I saw my very first porcupine! Mickey nearly stepped right
on it and kept walking passed until I screamed in surprise. I was so taken
aback that there was a porcupine right on the trail, I literally peed in my
pants. As “good” abiders of Leave No Trace Principles we ran into the woods to
follow it and probably scared the leaving crap out of it trying to take photos.
It was awesome.
Oh yeah, got to mile 2000 in Oregon!
One of the only places that I went to resupply where I could
actually picture myself living was Bend. Bend is an amazing town set right in
the middle of the great outdoors and has 17 breweries, and counting. I ate some
of the best meals of my life there, so much so that they deserve a mentioning.
The mac n’ cheese I had one night had cheddar cheese, blue cheese, chicken, AND
bacon in it! Then there was the fried goat cheese salad, the three-cheese dip,
the pulled pork taco, the risotto, the home made grilled cheese bacon
sandwiches, the uncountable samples of baked goods, the soy lattes, and the
meatloaf. Yum yum yum.
Then there was Stephanie. I met the most amazing human being
of my life there. She is an angel, an absolute gift from the heavens above,
shining down on my path and beckoning me into her arms. Stephanie has a
somewhat bittersweet life story. She is divorced and has an 11-year-old
daughter, Ella, struggling with a chronic illness. Despite these set backs in
life, Stephanie seemed like the most alive and loving person. Her daughter Ella
is beautiful, mature, and so sweet. You can tell that their relationship means
everything to both of them. When I showed up, they were going on a staycation
(vacation where you stay at home), where they were going to hang out on a farm
together, get their noses pierced, make cookies, and go out to eat whenever
possible.
Mickey and I met Stephanie our first night in Bend when she
was working as a waitress at this fancy restaurant. We passed by when she was
outside serving someone and just named dropped our other hiking friend, Ryan
Burton. Ryan is from Bend and his big friendly giant nature of a personality
makes him the man around town. Of course Stephanie knew him. The next day as
Mickey and I were passing by a pizza restaurant Stephanie saw us from inside
and came running down the street offering us a giant calzone. She offered for
us to join her pizza lunch she was having with her daughter and her ex-husband.
Her magic didn’t end there. She then offered us the use of her car and bikes to
roam around the city. Too nervous to drive her stick shift car, we accepted the
bikes and she dropped off two cruisers at the trail angel’s house we were
staying at. After taking us out to dinner one night at Deschutes Brewery, she
pretty much offered Mickey a room in her house and a job to be Ella’s nanny (or
manny in this case) when he got off the trail. And then to top it all off, she
drove us back to the trail the next day and gave us a huge container of home
made veggie and fruit drink. What a gem. In return and mild obsession with
Stephanie, Mickey and I sent postcards to Ella during the rest of our journey.
Bend also was filled with good music. We spent a night out
at a karaoke bar with a bunch of other hikers and got to see the infamous Aloha
in action. Aloha is the husband of one of the hikers (Toots Magoots) on trail
and followed her in his car the entire way providing trail magic. What a nice
husband. Aloha is also a really large opera singer man and loved his karaoke
whenever he was waiting for his wife in town. I also got to see Cuddles play
his cello finally. Cuddles is a music teacher in Arizona and decided to hike
the PCT and play cello concerts along the way at various venues. Despite the
crazy logistics of this, it was such a treat to get to hear him play along the
way. One time I even got to see his wife play the violin with him. Of course,
Mickey and I sang “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey at karaoke. Classic number.
Exciting moment on trail: I got $5 from Cuddles and Shedder
to jump into Little Crater Lake, the coldest lake ever! Spent that on a beer.
Oregon also has the infamous Timberline Lodge. Nestled right
at the base of Mt. Hoods ski lifts, it is a fancy-pancy place with the BEST
buffet on trail ever. The last mile hiking into it seemed like the longest mile
of my life as Mickey and I turned into Southern Baptists and prayed that it
would be right around the bend. Never a good idea to mentally think you are
closer than you actually are to something. Better to just pretend you are still
really far and then be really excited when you finally get there. Once we got
there, I fell in love. For $17 we got lunch buffet with multiple cuts of meats,
prosciutto, a huge number of desserts, the best cream soup, salads, waffles,
and cheeses. I stayed for hours and just kept going back. Such is the life of
being a calorie-deficient hiker with a fast metabolism and getting to eat
anything your little heart desires.
With views of Mt. Hood behind me, I journeyed 3 days to the
town of Cascade Locks at the Washington Oregon border. I took the Eagle Creek
alternate route to not only cut off some mileage, but to add magnificent views
of giant waterfalls, cliff hanging trails cut into the rock, and a ridiculously
high bridge to walk over. Cascade Locks was a convenient little town right next
to the Colombia River. I stayed at the Trail Angels house of a big man named
Shrek. Shrek himself was kinda weird and we would get locked out of his house
occasionally and had to pee in his backyard, but his place was nice and I got
to sleep in a tree house. Shrek got really mad at these two hikers Grumpy and
Wagon Wheel for throwing a water balloon at me. I was really impressed with
their accuracy when it landed straight on my chest, but Shrek thought it was
too rambunctious and got angry. Woops. The water balloon fight continued and I
nailed Verde a few days later on trail. Cascade Locks also had a really amazing
soft serve yogurt place where the large size was literally a foot long of
swirls piled up high.
As I said goodbye to the peaceful wilderness of Oregon and
waltzed over the Bridge of the Gods (epic name for a bridge), I entered into
the craziness of what Washington had in store. Two states down, one to go.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario