sábado, 12 de febrero de 2011

professional yahtzee players and french mafia

My last couple of days in Cusco were pretty exciting. I decided that I could definetly live in Cusco for an extended period of time, work in a bar in a hostel, eat ovepriced eggs and bacon breakfest at Jacks Cafe, learn to play the didgeridoo at the local hippie hang out spot, and wear llama and alpaca clothing from head-to-toe. I would then make friends with the guards at Machupichu so I could go in at night and sleep under the stars in an Incan temple or something. That would be the life.

I have titled this entry after these two jerks that I met in my hostel room. I met these two french guys my first morning staying at Wild Rover hostel (which offers a good party every night with the most unorganized hour of power and good eighties tunes). Not realizing that one of the french guys was a chronic lier, I believed them when they told me that they were involved in the french mafia, owed money to the Peruvian mafia, and had a gun and knife in their backpacks. I figured that being nice, but maintaining my distance was the best way to handle the situation. It turned out that they had already been kicked out of the other well known party hostel in Cusco because of their knife, which in reality was more like a dagger(they claimed they bought it as a souveniour in the jungle for protection from the mafia on the streets of Peru).

The first night I had with them in the hostel room they broke all three of the hostel rules and ate, drank vodka and mango juice, and smoked like a pack of cigerettes making all my clothes smell horrible. Once they were sufficiently drunk they moved their party to the bar in the hostel, as well as their dagger. They claimed afterward that they had no idea how their dagger ended up in the bar at that some Australian must have found it under thier mattress bed and brought it in. Likely story. Whatever the case, a dagger in a bar with drunk people is not such a good idea. The next day this super nice chick from Canada had a photo of the knife held up to her neck. Also not a good idea. Later in the night (more like the wee hours of the morning), they asked me if I had money to give them because they needed to pay off the mafia. Um, no. Over a good vegetarian meal for breakfest at this awesome place called El Encuentro, we pieced together the night and came to the conclusion that these french dudes were chronic liers and major sketch balls. Luckily they had left for Machupichu that morning and we would get a break from them until they came back.

A couple of days later when they came back (after claiming that their guide left them alone and they had to walk in the dark by themselves for hours to aguas calientes),they instanetly got thier vodka confiscated and were told that the police were en route to the hostel to pick them up. The 27 year old super chilled out Irish hostel owner somehow had found their dagger and came into our room right as they both stepped out of the shower and were half naked. He kindly kicked them out recomending that the best thing to do would be to leave cusco immediatly. After trying to deny their innocence for a while, which didnt work so well, they finally left. I randomly ran into them on the street an hour later as they were trying to find another hostel far away from the center. I calmly told them that maybe it is not such a good idea to have such a big dagger when traveling and that bringing it into a bar when people are drunk is also not such a smart thing and that telling people you have a gun and are part of the french mafia is also not very smart. I was glad to never see them again!

Besides this minor encounter with sketchy french men, Cusco felt super safe and was really fun. Cusco is loaded with great plazas to sit in, good restaurants, lots of markets to shop in, and an amazing nightlife with an array of chilled out reggae scenes and loud discotecas. It really trapped me in and after spending around 2 weeks there i decided it was time to move on with my travels. So on my way I went...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario