miércoles, 23 de febrero de 2011

gastronomy

Athough the word gastronomy I think sounds a little gross, it is the art and science of eating good food and is a very beautiful thing. Peru has some of the best food in the whole world and so my last days here I stalked my stomach with loads of good ceviche, alpaca meat, fish, and bowls of soups.

Before I left for my travels I thought I was going to be the author of my first ever book called ¨The Best Places to Run on the South America´s Gringo Trac¨. I promised my sister in Cuba a bunch of times that I was going to wake up and go run. However, I have had to put my dreams for this book on hold becuase I have become quite lazy with my running. In fact I have only run once for 20 minutes on the beach (that was yesterday). In the beginning I was mad at myself for not getting my heart rate up everyday, but I have come to the conclusion that feeling bad for myself is not worth it. Instead I have embraced the art and science of food:gastronomy. I am a really professional eater now.

While travelling it is really important for me to try all the amazing new foods. Everything from the top of the line ceviche restaurants to the greasy and delicious street food. Peru loves to put french fries on every plate and I love Peru for that.

Eating cheap really carbo loads you up so I have to balance it out with a good mango or pineapple juice or something. No where in the world can you just pick up any mango anywhere and have it be the juiciest and most delicious thing ever.

I tried the guinea pig that is so famous in Peru and it sucks. Not really sure why they eat it. There are way too many little bones and barely any meat. It is like eatying squirrel or something. not good. but alpaca is delicious.

I spent only one night and two days on the beach in Mancora. Although a nice place to get tan or sunburnt, I could not stay any longer. It is where every Peruvian family goes during this time of year to stand around in the surf and cover the beach with umbrellas and loud reggaeton music. I was also woken up in the middle of the night by a one night drunken stand of an australian and argentinian chick having sex in my room. so uncomfortable. i woke up early to go on a run and sweat that gross night out and found the guy totally naked without any covers on. found the condom in the trashcan; at least they were practicing safe sex!

made it to northern ecuador today after 3 bus rides. on one of them i was told by the ecuadorian next to me that this was his first converstation ever with a gringa. what an honor. i am in this place called banos where all you do is crazy ecotourism things. going repelling down waterfalls and bridge jumping tomorrow!! need to get my adreneline up. hopefully i wont throw up all the loving gastronomical food i have eaten this last month in peru.

so adios peru and hola ecuador!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario